We have been asked several times which maca (red or black) should a customer choose for their general wellbeing or specific needs.
What is Maca?
Maca is a turnip root-like superfoods, one of the few considered to be an “adaptogen“, that is able to raise overall life force, energy and vitality, and support what your body needs to balance – especially your hormonal system. Because of these adaptive properties, it is also called the Peruvian Ginseng.
Not all Maca varieties are the same. Yellow is the most common variety, followed by Red and Black Maca.
Based on the current scientific evidence, we have summarized the effects of red vs black maca in a simple table. Choose based on your needs!
- Both maca has shown an increase in energy compared with placebo, although red maca showed a larger effect.
- Two randomized controlled trials suggested a significant positive effect of both maca on sexual dysfunction or sexual desire in healthy menopausal women and healthy adult men.
- Both red and black maca have protective effects on bone architecture.
- Black maca is the only variety showing significant improvement in learning and memory.
- Polyphenols in red maca may be related to its effect in reducing prostate size, while black maca has no effect.
- Black maca has been shown to have effect in increasing sperm count and sperm motility whereas red maca had no effect.
Based on the current evidence,
- Red maca is more suitable for women (unless you are using it for prostate protection)
- Black maca fits better with the needs of men
Where can I get real Peruvian Maca from the Andes?
Maca Vitae® is a trademark that guarantees the authenticity of Andean maca, imported directly from the Peruvian highlands (departments of Junin 4500 meters of altitude) where maca’s reputation was born. There grows the best and highest quality maca. Due to worldwide demands, maca has been being introduced in other regions and countries (e.g. China) but the quality of maca is just not reproducible or comparable to that grown in the high Andes.
- Women undergoing menopause seeking hormonal balance
- Anyone who wish to feel young again with a boost in energy and vitality
- Women looking to increase libido
- Bone density support in women and children
- Men looking to use Maca for prostate support
- Men wishing to increase their sexual function (sperm count and motility)
- Men wishing to boost their libido
- Athletes, both men and women, looking for extra stamina and strength
- Anyone looking to improve memory, concentration and focus skills
- Anyone looking to improve their bone strength and density